Hey there ❤
Today I have a super easy recipe to share that’s great for weekly meal prep, freezer storage, or any of your favorite recipes. Shredded chicken is one of my favorite things because it’s so versatile but yet nutritious!
I usually make a big batch in the crockpot once a week. Something about the simple. flavorful ingredients and the long cooking time make the chicken so tender and amazing. Plus it’s so simple – just dump the ingredients in your slow cooker and let it do its magic – that there are no excuses for not eating healthy.
Although my favorite way to eat it is straight up (it’s delicious!) or on a salad, it’s also great in soups, tacos, BBQ sliders… basically anything you can think of. It also freezes well, so I’ll usually freeze a portion or two to have in the freezer for when I just don’t feel like preparing something fresh.
Cooking Basics: Shredded Chicken (Crockpot Edition)
- 2 pounds chicken breast
- 1 cup chicken broth (I like low sodium so I can control the falvor)
- Any extra veggie scraps I have laying around (usually carrots, celery, onions, and garlic work well)
- Seasonings to taste (basic: himalyan pink sea salt and pepper; for extra flavor: garlic powder, smoked paprika, chile powder, oregano, basil, rosemary, etc.)
- Arrange chicken in an even layer at the bottom of your crock pot / slow cooker.
- Add broth and any additional ingredients on top of the chicken. I recommend making sure that the broth covers the chicken completely so it stays super juicy.
- Set timer to cook on low for 4 hours.
- Once the chicken is finished, immediately use two forks to shred the chicken. It should pull apart very easily if you do it when it is still warm. (*Note: you can also use the paddle attachment on your KitchenAid Stand Mixer to make it even easier.)